From its earliest beginnings, the Mulqueen Family Funeral Directors business has been a part of the Bendigo community and has grown with the region.
The Bridge Street Funeral business embraces its origins form 1853 when Thomas Abell opened a carpentry and undertaking business in Bridge Street. After obtaining a town lots in May 1855, Thomas Abell and Philip Kennedy constructed an impressive two-storey building and relocated the business to the corner of Bridge and Cemetery streets directly in front of what was then the Sandhurst Burial Grounds. In 1856 Thomas Oakley purchased the business and operated under his own name until 1886 when his son William tok over in partnership with Peter Fizelle.
Peter Fizelle became the sole proprietor on 1 March 1895, and ran the business under his own name. This was the beginning of continuous ownership by the Fizelle/Mulqueen family.
Michael Mulqueen was an Irish immigrant who arrived in Australia in 1891 and he subsequently married Peter Fizelle’s daughter Elizabeth. On the 5th of February 1900, the business became known as FIZELLE & MULQUEEN.